Netflix Announces $100 Million Coronavirus Relief Fund For Entertainment Workers
As the coronavirus pandemic continues to ravage the worldwide economy, Netflix is doing its bit to support thousands of entertainment workers now out of employment. On Friday, the corporate announced that it might establish a $100 million relief fund to ease a number of the hardships faced by jobless hourly wage earners and people who are hired on a project-to-project basis.
Announcing the initiative in a politician blog post, Netflix’s Chief Content Officer, Ted Sarandos, said: “Most of the fund will go towards support for the toughest hit workers on our own productions round the world. We’re within the process of understanding exactly what this suggests, production by production. this is often added to the 2 weeks pay we’ve already committed to the crew and sew productions we were forced to suspend last week”.
While the lion’s share of the funds will attend Netflix’s own employees who were laid off following the cancellation of the company’s film and television productions last week, the initiative also will assist the broader film and tv industry, including those from third-party production houses and studios, in any case leading media organizations within the country pack up their productions due to COVID-19.
According to Netflix, $15 million of the fund will attend third parties and non-profits providing emergency relief to out-of-work crew and cast in countries where the corporate features a large production base. aside from donating millions to emergency relief organizations working with entertainment workers within the US and Canada, the corporate also said that it’s working with existing industry organizations in Europe, Latin America, and Asia to make similar creative community emergency relief efforts.